Skip to main content

Why I Allow My Designs To Speak For Me - Popular IBADAN Fashion Designer, Ike Bashir


His real name is Alhaji Akande Azeez Bashiru. But everybody simply calls him IKE BASHIR. He is the brilliant designer behind ‘Opulence Creation’, a popular fashion designing outfit in Ibadan. Though many don’t know his real name, they call him ‘Ike Bashy’ but his designs speak for him anywhere any day. He’s been able to proof his worth in the industry and he has risen to become one of the hot and most patronized fashion designers and wardrobe consultants not only in Ibadan but South-West and even beyond.

He has built the business he started from the scratch a few years ago with one sewing machine into a brand. Today, he has more than 30 staff working for him with well over 30 styling and sewing machines. He has governors, senators, kings etc as customers.

His members of staff cut across Ghanaians, Cameroonians and Nigerians. Apart from the fact that ‘Ike Bashy’ is good at what he does, another thing working for him is, his great sense of humor. Bashy’s humility is second to none. He Is well connected and a prominent member of Ibadan Golf Club.

In this interview with City People’s IBADAN Correspondent, DARE ADENIRAN, Bashiru Akande spoke extensively on his business as a fashion designer, how he got into the industry. His family background; why he is called Ike Bashy, as well as many other interesting issues. Below are the excerpts.

You are one of the topmost male fashion designers in Ibadan and the South West, yet you still like to take it cool. You prefer for people to talk about your business than your person. How did you get into the industry?

It is only God that can place someone at the top. You don’t have to make noise; your work, your personality is enough to speak for you anywhere. You know like they say ‘’empty barrel makes the loudest noise’’.

How many years have you been in the fashion designing industry?

I have been in the fashion business since 1998/99. Then I used to sell fabric materials, I used to sew and send them abroad or sometimes sell them locally. Until year 2001 that I made it official by creating an identity for myself and that was what gave birth to my fashion designing outfit ‘’Opulence Creation’’.

Who taught you the nitty gritty of fashion designing?

I didn’t learn it from anybody. Nobody can come out to say that he or she taught me about tailoring. It is something I have been interested in all along. I like fashion, I told you I was dealing in fabrics apart from sewing. I also consult for many people fashion wise. Being creative is a special talent I have gotten from God and I have been able to develop along that line.

Did you ever envisage that you will get to the stage you are today when you first started?

Not at all; I was just doing what I love doing and fortunately it turned out to blessing for me. Mind you, I have always been doing my work diligently right from the start. All that coupled with the grace of Allah are responsible for the success we have been able to record so far. We are not going to relent, we’ll keep doing what we know how to do best till our name becomes a bigger brand. Again, like they popular say, ‘’every disappointment is a blessing’’. At a point when I thought I had been able to secure a place I could call my own, where I can be operating from so that I can have an address. You know I told you I was dealing in fabrics, I was operating from where could be called a mobile office then. But at the end of the day I was duped by some agents. I had to go back and be operating from home. That’s for you to know that I have seen it all in this business. I had to start using a friend’s place and later to B.Q of our house. But in all we thank God for how far He has taken us today.

Now that you have become known with powerful clientele list; you have governors, senators, honorable and other heavy weight personalities as customers. What would you describe as your selling point or is there any secret that is making people come to you?

There is no secret anywhere. The major problem of we artisans, is inconsistency. In a situation where your tomorrow won’t be tomorrow; you must learn how not to disappoint your customers. It happens once in a while but when it does you must have better and solid explanation because nobody is perfect. But it must not be your identity. Here at Opulence Creation, we pay attention to details, we work more on our finishing and we try as much as possible to satisfy our customer. ‘’ Customer satisfaction’ is our watch word. We have understood the fact that once you gain a customer it means you have gained 10. 1 person each from those 10 multiply by 10 makes it 100. So, if I should misbehave to one of them it means there is likelihood of having problem with all of them. I have separated enjoyment time from work time. I work hard and I play hard too. I don’t mix the two together and it has been working for me perfectly. When I first started, I started with one sewing machine. We moved from one to two and from two to four etc. Today, we have more than 30 sewing and styling machines.


What is the capacity of Opulence Creation’s workforce now?

In fact, this place can no longer accommodate us. We are now well above 30.

You have high number of top celebrities you design or consult for. How do you manage it that your styles and designs look alike?

We have record of everything we do here, so we know what we have done for customer A.or B. unless you see a design on somebody or one of our clients that you want us to do the same for you. We try as much as possible in making sure that our styles are unique and don’t look alike. Because that is another strategy in this business, you must be able to give customers varieties so that they don’t get tired of your service. You must not bore them with repetition of designs. One must be highly creative and always ahead in the game. Most of the time I don’t sleep until very late in the night; I do research into what is in vogue and all that. I must improve on what I do like every other time. New innovations must be brought on board. That is how we have been keeping ourselves afloat in business.

What inspires you the most as a fashion designer?

God, the fact that I am so passionate about what I do. I don’t joke with my job. So, basically I get inspiration mostly from the zeal I have for the job and the fact that I must not fail. You mentioned it earlier that I sew and consult for top celebs. It is only one’s handwork that can put one in such position. We get patronage mostly from referrals. Once your work is good and neat and there is no disappointment, definitely you will go far in this business.

If you look back from when you started from and the stage you are now, how does it make you feel?

Whenever I look back to the time I first started I always give thanks to Allah. Success is sweet, especially when it is worked for.

Has being sociable affected your business in anyway?

I am sociable but I know my limits and I have never crossed that line. If am attending to a customer and there is a social function no matter how important, I can never leave my customer. I rather come late to your party and apologize later than leaving my customer. Yes, being sociable has somehow helped and still helping me in growing the business. You network the more and meet new friends while socializing.

You have been described by many as humility personified, while some say it is part of your strategy in wooing customers?

We have different upbringing and we are from different background. Whenever my grandfather gives us something back then we must prostrate to say thank you. Even our parents, despite the fact that it is their responsibility to give us food, we must still say thank you after each meal. That is the way we were brought up. There is this Yoruba adage which says, ‘’the fact that you prostrate for a dwarf doesn’t stop you from getting to where you are going’’. Meanwhile, the dwarf you look down on may be the one that will take you to where your life would be better. That has been my guiding principle in life and that is why we treat our customers equally, no matter their level, age or appearance.

You are popularly known and called ‘’Ike Bashy’’ in Ibadan. In fact, many people don’t even know your real name. What informed such nickname?

Many people think I have a hunchback, they don’t know that it is not but a sickness I suffered when I was a kid. You know people call anybody with hunchback ‘’Ike owo’’. When people started calling ‘’Ike Bashy’’ I used to fight them but it got to a point that it doesn’t bother me anymore. Now I address myself with the nickname before you even call me the name. It doesn’t get at me.

What kind of sickness was it and at what stage in your life was that?

I was not born this way. But let’s just thank God for what He has done.

How would you describe your kind of person?

I am kind, straightforward and accommodating person. I got that from my father, he was highly accommodating. I was trained by an Islamic leader, Imam Sodiq Folorunsho. My father is Alhaji Abdulazeez Afowosere Akande. We were trained In a large compound. My mother was so accommodating too.

Some are born with silver spoon while some strive to create meaningful life for themselves. How would you describe your own background and what really inspired you to work hard to become who you are today?

I was born into a business-oriented family. Even my elder ones kicked against my decision to go into fashion designing business then. ‘’Many don’t know that the prominent business mogul, Chief Harry Akande is my brother’’. My father, Afowosere never wanted me to be fashion designer but God has different plans for each and every one of us. We can’t all be Doctors, Lawyers or what have you. That is to tell you that I am not from a poor background. My father was a prominent Alfa and businessman. My mother was a successful businesswoman too. I was born into the popular Fijabi Compound at Oritamerin in Ibadan. My paternal grandmother is from ‘’Ile Iba’’. My maternal grandmother is from Ghana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Ibadan's 10 Big Real Estate Players

The real estate sector in Oyo State, especially Ibadan, the capital city, is currently experiencing what could best be described as a mega boom. Thanks to the few investors who saw the vision years back and keyed into it by contributing their quotas to the development of the sector. Kudos also to the Governor Seyi Makinde-led administration in the state for creating an enabling environment (the successive governments couldn't be excused from the success story too). Not only has Makinde's administration created an enabling environment, it has introduced some investors-friendly policies, and as well undertook partnerships that had really helped in bringing about the unprecedented developments in the sector. This has also created room for options for those who are interested in both luxury and low cost estates. Its also explains reasons for the many real estate projects (both completed and ongoing) all over the place. There are developments and construction almost everywhere in Ib

"I Have No Problem With Anybody" - Olodogbo of Odogbo-Ijesha, Tunde Oginni Speaks On The Controversy Surrounding His Traditional Tittle

The name Olatunde Oginni means different things to different people; while some see him as very consistent and a successful businessman, some see him to be too controversial. But from whichever perspective you might like to assess  him from, what you cannot take away from him is, his brain and the never die spirit. Also, the philanthropic side of him. He has been making money right from the younger age; by 24/25, Oginni had has companies and properties here and there. Which gave him a kind of upper hand above his peers and since then he has been giving back to the society in his own little way. Today, Olatunde Oginni sits atop a vibrant business empire which include Tiger Beach Limited, Flogin Natural Resources Limited, Tiger Flo Security, Olatunde Oginni Property and many more. Recently, Oginni shared his experience with Dare Adeniran as per his lifestyle as the Olodogbo of Odogbo-Ijesha. He  opens up on so many interesting issues and the controversy surrounding his tittle ‘’Olodo

On The Rising Profile Of Juju/Miliki Gospel Singer, Dele Gold.

When it comes to special recognition in the Music industry, there’s always a name that can’t be left out due to his prominence in his unique style of music and the consistency that he has trailed along with it. Dele Gold, the talented musician born Dele Agbeyo is unarguably a talent that’s rare to find in the music industry in this part of the world.