Sunday 15 January 2023

How I Met & Fell In Love With Made Kuti - Inedoye Onyenso


About 2 months ago, the Internet was agog with the news of the engagement between Afrobeat Crown Prince, Made Kuti and Inedoye Onyenso, founder of The Doye Brand. What happened was, the love birds, who had been dating for 2 years, felt it was time to take their relationship to the next level and made the announcement. Many celebrities congratulated them and we’re all waiting with bated breath to see them officially tie the nuptial knot next year. Before then, City People’s Contributing Editor, IYABO OYAWALE got a rare opportunity to interview Inedoye and she spoke about how they met and fell in love. She also spoke about The Doye Brand, her business which is a full beach wear brand. Enjoy excerpts from the interview below:

When did you launch The Doye Brand?

We launched in August 2022.

And, you sell luxury swim wear for women, right?

Yes, it’s a full beach wear brand. We sell swimwear, glasses, kimonos, everything.

Why did you go into this line of business?

It was an idea I had. Truth is, I really love swim wear. I’m all about women and self-love and everything concerning a woman’s security so it forms the thrust of what I do at The Doye Brand. So, self-love, wearing what you want, be your own desire, I promote those kinds of things.

What’s behind this self-love thing? Is it that something happened in your childhood or something?

It was something that I struggled with as a growing female in Nigeria and I decided that I won’t let this be the story of other young girls out there. So, I decided to preach it in my brand.

So, what exactly happened because you mentioned it in one of the videos on your Instagram page but I didn’t quite get what you were saying? You said it was your father that helped you out.

I always got backlashes because I had rapid growth as a child. It was my dad that was there for me mostly. He kept reminding me that no matter what, you’re beautiful. He was there for me while I was growing from teenage years into adulthood.

So, you grew up rapidly and people didn’t understand it?

People didn’t understand my growth so they kept criticizing me and I kept hearing whispers and things they were saying. I was pretty much misunderstood. It was painful to be hearing those kinds of statements from adults I thought would be supportive.

It was even adults that were attacking you and not your age mates?

Yes, it was more of adults than my age mates.

But, your father was there for you?

Yes, my dad was there for me. My mum was also there but my dad was more present because I spent most of my high school years with him. And that’s when I experienced depression.

So, it led to depression, right?

Yes, it did!

Wow, but you’ve come out if it?

Yes, I have!

Good to know that because I’ve also experienced depression. I battled it for a couple of years but I’m healed now. I’m so glad you’ve gotten out of it. Also, I wanted to know how the response has been to your business.

Most people were surprised that I was going into swim wear but they have been supportive and they like the message I’m trying to preach with the brand. I didn’t expect that much support for a project we just started; it’s been mind-blowing!


Wow! Now, how do you get your products? Do you source for them locally or you import them?

We’re team of 4 people. We have the marketing side and the creative side. Our Creative Director has a production house so she handles the design, the materials and everything that has to do with production. She runs her ideas through all of us and we decide what to do per time.

And, she makes them, right?

Yes, our products are made in Nigeria.

I’m glad to know that because I was wondering if you do import. Do you currently have a physical store or you do strictly online sales?

For now, we sell online.

What challenges do you face in running The Doye Brand?

It’s very hard to find the best materials for swim wear here so we’re looking into the importation of materials but we’ll keep producing in Nigeria.

Are your products affordable?

Yes.

Do you do other things apart from The Doye Brand?

I work with my partner, Made Kuti as his personal assistant and social media manager.

So, how is it like working with Made because I interviewed him this year and he came across to me as down-to-earth, humble, and truthful, but I’d like to know from a partner’s perspective?

Everything you’ve said is who Made is; he’s humble, honest, truthful, and cares about everybody around him. He makes sure the people around him are okay; business-wise, family-wise.

Obviously, you have his support for The Doye Brand, right?

Yes, yes, he’s part of The Doye Brand team.

Awesome! Now, how did you guys meet?

We met in high school.

Really? That means you guys have been together for years. Like, how many years?

We met in high school, I was his junior and he went to UNI, we met later again. We’ve been together now for 2 years but we’ve known each other for 12 years.

Which school is that? Is it a Nigerian school?

It is. Cayley College in Agidingbi, Ikeja, Lagos.

You met in UNI again?

No, he went to UNI abroad, so, when he came back, we started talking again.

Now, what attracted you to him, was it a case of love at first sight?

(Laughs), pretty much because I had a crush on him from high school, so, I’d say it was love at first sight (laughs).

I love to hear that. Now, tell me a bit about Stephanie Inedoye Onyenso.

I was born in Lagos, I grew up in Lagos. I’m 24 going to be 25 next year. My mum is Ijaw from Delta State and my dad is Igbo from Abia State. And, I finished school in 2020. I started in UNILAG but had to go to university in Benin Republic because of strike. I graduated with a second class upper in English. Bachelor of Arts in English.

You read English alone?

Yes.

You know there are some reports online that you’re a model and all sorts.

Yes, I used to. I used to model while I was in school. I did fashion and video modeling for a while.

When are the wedding bells likely to ring?

Next year.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive