Saturday 29 July 2017

Toyin Adegbola’s Exclusive!!! ‘’I Go On Low Cut In Respect For My Late Husband"-Top Actress, Toying Adegbola Speaks On Career & Private Life.

Toyin Adegbola aka ‘Asewo To Re Mecca’ is a known name in the Nigerian Movie Industry. She is one of the actors who have come with time in the industry and among those who have paid their dues as far the industry is concerned; having rose through the ladders to become a sort after actress. One unique thing about Toyin Adegbola is that she keeps getting better and better over the years. In this quite explosive interview with Dare Adeniran, she speaks extensively about her career and her very private life. How becoming a grandmother has somehow softened her and many other interesting issues. Enjoy it.

Q/. You keep on improving on your career as an actor every day; you are one of the movie stars to have evolved from stage-play to Optical, Television series and now to home videos. You could be best described as the link between the old and younger generation in the industry. How have you been able to achieve all these?
It is very important to improve on whatever you have chosen as a career and that I have been doing over the years. We are all like students and still learning every day; even the professors are still learning. That should be the guideline for everyone because if you fail to improve on your career, you will be left behind. And you can never go beyond where you are, that is not a course.
I think perseverance, focus and passion also played major roles in my career, to have attained this level and to have achieved all these things you have mentioned. But most importantly I give glory to God.

Q/. But What Would You say inspired you to go into acting?
I have been acting since I was a kid, you know the children play thing and even in Church, I was a member of the Drama Society and a Choir of the Methodist Church of Nigeria, Ofa and Osogbo then.
Also, in school, I was acting and represented my school and won several awards, that was as far back as 70s and early 80s. So I have been an actor since then because I love it. I love acting a lot. Not that I studied acting, Theatre Arts or something. I read RTV Electronics (Radio and Television).
But because I have a strong passion for acting, I had to drop Electronics. Even while I was working at the then Television Service of Oyo State (TSOS) I was still acting and it was from there my boss, Tunbosun Odunsi discovered me.
Though before then I have been acting and I even took part in one of Late Adeyemi Afolayan (Ade Love)'s optical films.

Q/. So what was your first appearance as an actress like?
Let me first of all tell you that the number one rule of being a successful star and undiminished one at that is for you not to allow fame gets into your head. Once you obeyed the rules, you stay focused without giving rooms for any distraction then you are a made super star naturally.
I don't see myself as a star, I am nothing but pencil in the hands of God. I always tell people and educate them to never allow fame gets into their heads. Do what is required of you and work hard.

Q/. Having gone through the ladders in the industry to become what you are today, what is the greatest lesson you have learnt?
I have learnt a lot but the most important out of them is that you must be the best you could be in whatever you are doing.
Apart from some challenges that would come your way normally, which I know is not limited to my profession, as an actor, like the piracy issue and all that, every other challenges have made one stronger in the profession.

Q/. You are now a grandmother. Has that changed anything about you?
Before now my children know that I can beat or smack you with anything I see around if you misbehave. But my last born now tells the little children around me that they are enjoying, that mum has really changed. So I think I have soft-pedaled in that aspect and some other areas. Because as one grows older, there are some things you should stop doing naturally. But I still remain a disciplinarian mind you.

Q/. The acting side of you seems to have taken over your real self as it is difficult to draw the line between the two. What is the different between Toyin Adegbola as a person and Toyin Adegbola an actress?
Toying Adegbola is a caring mother; a widow, loving, cool but highly disciplined. I can play with you from morning till night but I don't tolerate nonsense and am a giver. I believe in God so much. Toyin Adegbola doesn't like anybody to suffer around her, a kind-hearted woman. I don't like anything that would put me under unnecessary stress. My B.P has never gone above 120/80 and I am well over 50. I love seeing people around me and I can go any length in satisfying them.
But 'Toyin Asewo To Re Mecca or 'Asewo To Re Universe' could be funny, stupid and unpredictable while acting because I can interpret any role being given to me.

Q/. You have been making fashion statements with your dress sense anywhere you go, especially your glamorous styles at functions coupled with your light skin. What informed your low-cut hairstyle and does being fashionable come with acting or you cut that somewhere along the line or learned it from someone?
‘’Fashion is an inborn thing which one can always improve on as you grow older but if you don't have it you don't have it, there is no magic about that’’. I don't have special designer anywhere, I use local fashion designers: one in Osun (male) and two in Ibadan. It is very important for one to be able to know what sits well on you and what you are comfortable wearing, in a simple way that will still make the desired fashion statement.
‘’For the low-cut, I started it when I lost my husband in year 2000 as a respect for him’’. Because when he was alive any time I made my hair, like 'the Adimole' (natural weaving), he would say oh! Look at your hair, it is naturally beautiful and all that. So when he died I thought what is the essence of making hairstyles that my husband loved so much again?, to attract who?. So I decided to go on low-cut as a sign of respect for him. Surprisingly, a year after his death that I wanted to go back to my normal style, many of my fans kicked against it that it was because of me some of them go on low-cut too, so I had no choice but to leave it.
Since then it has become a kind of trademark of Toyin Adegbola and I must also confess that am enjoying it too.
Many thanks to my family, my husband’s family and my fans, they really stood by me. When my husband died I thought that was the end of my career and everything but with the help of God and the love of good people am still here, doing wonderfully well.

Q/. At over 50, you are still as beautiful as ever, you are stylish, beautiful, homely and very warm. Are you planning to remarry again?
Let's wait and see. Like I always tell people that my body is not a wood, I am human and have blood flowing in my veins. But when I lost my husband I chose not to remarry because of my children. Because I thought I had to give them more attention and proper upbringing; which they wouldn’t have gotten if I had remarried Because the person am getting married to would expect me to have one or two children for him and he might not take care of my children the way I wanted to.
To the glory of God they are all Masters’ Degree holders today and I am highly proud of that and now that they are all grown up, time will tell if am going to give marriage a trial. Don't also forget the fact that I have now become a kind of man on my own.
But if somebody now say oh! Ok, I just want to be by your side and my children consented to it then I can give it a trial.

Q/. At over 50, you are in good shape and your skin is always glowing. How do you maintain your body: do you have special treatment for your skin or you are into fitness program?
I don't use Medicated soap, I prefer Shea Butter and Coconut oil. I also do a lot of exercise. There is also a routine I follow strictly: I wake up in the morning, say my prayers and drink a lot of water before anything and I don't eat too much. My dinner must not exceed 7pm no matter what, except I want to take water. I take a lot of fruits and vegetable too.

Q/. From acting to politics, what was the experience like working as a board member of the State of Osun Arts and Culture Council in the first term of Aregbesola?
You know Rome was not built in a day. You do your best and leave the rest; we tried our best during our tenure there. The governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola appreciates the little period we spent there and I am very sure that whenever he is ready to give people opportunity to serve, he will not hesitate to look towards our side, because we tried our possible best in contributing our own quota to the Arts and Culture Council of the state.

Q/. Are you planning to go into active politics in future?
Yes, am still looking into that because my people are calling out for me to do that. When the time comes we shall do the needful. If my people call on me to come and serve I will definitely and gladly do it.
Q/. Is any of your children interested in acting and would you encourage that?
Yes, that is Opeyemi my last born. She has been acting all along but it is just that people don't recognize her anymore. She is the one who acted 'Igbin'. So 'Igbin' is showing interest though she is an Accountant. In fact, she is presently doing her ICAN. She has shown interest and I’m not going to discourage her.

Q/. If Toyin Adegbola is not an actress what would you have become?
Originally I wanted to be a nurse but I was not given admission to the Nursing School. But to the glory of God one of my children has B.Sc in nursing today. So if am not acting I would have be a nurse. God knows the best and there is purpose for everything He does. You know if I’m a nurse I wouldn't have been an actress and as an actress I have impacted so many lives positively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive